Stories from the 'Sole'

Life is a journey. Life is our story. More specifically, our lives are a web of stories that we collect one story at a time, one step at a time. Sometimes we take these steps alone. Sometimes many feet together. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast, and even sometimes backwards! These stories, these steps - they are our foundation. They define who we are and live on long after we are gone in the hearts and minds of our friends and loved ones. In this blog I attempt to capture the stories that have defined me and my family. These stories -these histories, myths, and legends- are meant to be enjoyed, shared, retold, even embellished - so that they can live on and be retold by you someday to someone you love. So, grab a cup of tea or cocoa, a blanket, and curl up in a comfy chair and let me tell you a story...

A Dickens of a Tale



“Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.”

Whenever I read those words, I hear my Mom’s voice in my head.  I am taken back to Christmas Past, sitting next to my Mom on one of the couches in my old house on Hilltop Drive in South Bend, IN.  It is evening.  It is quiet.  The Christmas tree lights are softly glowing across the room.  I am snuggled warm next to my Mom, and I am so excited that she is reading to me!  My parents were always great about nightly stories and lullabies at bedtime.  But this is extra special!  This is a Christmas Ghost story!  I am so excited!

I LOVE books!  I love how those words printed on the page come to life in my mind.  As I sit with my head resting against my Mom’s shoulder, I am transported to Charles Dickens’ London of the 1800s.  Scrooge and his story take shape in my mind.  Scrooge, an old, stooped unsmiling figure whose iciness and gloom surrounds him wherever he went.  His business partner Marley is long dead.  He pushes away humanity, trusting only money and profit- the only things that have not disappointed him in life.  His loneliness and melancholy, made even deeper by the London fog, contrasting starkly with the warmth and coziness of my spot with my Mom on the couch.   I jump slightly as the character of Scrooge’s cheerful nephew Fred bursts in wishing Scrooge “A Merry Christmas Uncle!”, and my Mom deeply growls Scrooges reply of “Bah! Humbug!” 

Christmas up to this point had been about Jesus, the nativity, church carols, Christmas trees, Santa, reindeer, presents, snowmen.  This was something completely new!  Christmas with the spooky door knocker and Marley’s ghost dragging great chains upon the floor.  The Ghost of Christmas Past and dancing with the Fezziwig’s, Scrooge’s smile as he remembers his love for Belle and his sister, Fan.  The Ghost of Christmas Present with Fred’s wife and friends playing similes and other party games while enjoying each other’s company.  The love of the Cratchit Family and Tiny Tim as they enjoyed their small Christmas feast and pudding.  Scrooge’s icy façade beginning to melt as he is told that the Ghost sees “a crutch without an owner…If these shadows remain unaltered…”  The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come (that black, faceless, draped and shapeless form, unspeaking with the thin finger pointing the way creeps me out to this day), the death of Tiny Tim (WHAT?? MOM, THAT CAN’T BE RIGHT! You had to have read that wrong!)  and the cold, solitary grave that awaits Scrooge himself if he does not change his heart and his ways.  And then the bells are ringing on Christmas Day!  Christmas with Scrooge laughing and giddy as a schoolboy that the spirits visited him all in one night!  Christmas with the largest goose ever!  Christmas with forgiveness and surprises for all as Scrooge actually smiles, let’s go of his wealth and fear, and reembraces his friends and family, AND becomes a second father to Tiny Tim (YAY!!!  I knew you had to be wrong about that Mom!!!)  Christmas where Scrooge “became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew…”   

Fast forward to Christmas Present.  I have a copy of A Christmas Carol on my own personal bookshelf.  (Yes, the actual book!!!!)  I try to find time to slow down and sit with Mr. Dickens every year during the holidays.  His words help to remind me what is important, to keep our families and friends close and our hearts open.  Some years the boys have snuggled with me on the couch and listened as I, like my Mom before me, growled “Bah! Humbug” and made Scrooge and the Ghosts come to life.  Some years we watch the George C. Scott movie version of the book (my favorite adaptation).     This year we enjoyed the movie “The Man Who Invented Christmas” which was all about Charles Dickens and his writing of his ghostly tale.  Regardless of how we enjoy Mr. Dickens’ story , every year we marvel at Scrooge’s grouchiness (Ash says Scrooge is the original Grinch!), laugh at the silly parts, cry about Tiny Tim, and rejoice with Scrooge, Fred, Bob Cratchit, and of course Tiny Tim as all are redeemed and let Christmas into their hearts. 

And Christmas Yet to Come you ask?  Yes, A Christmas Carol will be there on my shelf, ready to be opened, read, and enjoyed.  A time for slowing down, snuggling on the couch together and letting Christmas enter our hearts.  (Grandma Peggy, are you up for another retelling?)

“And so, as tiny Tim observed, God bless Us Every One!”

No comments:

Post a Comment