Grandpa Gary Miller (Derek's Dad) served in the Marines in the Vietnam War. I asked him to please send me whatever he was comfortable sharing about his experiences. Rather than try to recreate his story, here is Grandpa Gary in his own words.
Thank you Gary for your openness and for your service.
"I was in the Marines from 2/69 drafted until 7/70...was in Vietnam 7/69 to 7/70...only active for a year and a half...came out a Corporal although I should have been given another stripe to Sergeant but my Captain said no, I was getting out...I turned down a chance to leave Vietnam in January '70 as a Lance Corporal, a squad leader. My Captain told me in his tent that a "bird (helicopter) was coming in with my name on it and I was going to Division read in Vietnam and put on a plane to fly back to the United States and go to Officer's Candidate School...I turned then down saying to him...(no, I am staying here in the bush with my men. I don't want to stay in the Marines as he did. I said that "I know that if I make it out-of-'Nam alive, that I would be going home and would be out of the service. A week later my Captain in the bush was pulled out and put in charge of S-4 logistics and supply for the battalion...then a week later a 'bird' came in for me to be pulled from my squad and to go work for him...I took over the MARES program for the battalion. I was a really a mess. I went from 'white' scuffed black combat boots to new spit polished boot and starched Marine cap."
THE MARINES HYMN
“From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country’s battles
On the land as on the sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.
To the shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country’s battles
On the land as on the sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.
Our flag’s unfurled to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in ev’ry clime and place
Where we could take a gun;
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in ev’ry clime and place
Where we could take a gun;
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines
Here’s health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we’ve fought for life
And never lost our nerve;
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven’s scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.”
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we’ve fought for life
And never lost our nerve;
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven’s scenes;
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.”
(The author of the hymn is unknown.)
(Reference: https://www.marineband.marines.mil/About/Library-and-Archives/The-Marines-Hymn/)
No comments:
Post a Comment